Animal Care Assistant
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $10.50 /hour
Charleston Animal Society is hiring for two Animal Care Assistants! This is an exciting opportunity to work hands-on with animals every day,
Two Schedules Available 8am – 5:30pm (or finished):
- Sunday – Thursday
- Tuesday – Saturday
**Clinic Experience Required**
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to vaccination protocol and diagnostic testing.
- Assist the Animal Care Technician in proper holding and restraint during animal exams, vaccinations, and processing intakes.
- Must be able to work under stressful conditions and effectively and efficiently under those conditions.
- Must be able to learn characteristics of animal behavior (for example be able to identify aggressive or fearful behavior). Must be proficient at animal restraint.
- Perform shelter exam and evaluation of each animal upon intake.
- Evaluate animals for any illness or injuries needing immediate treatment.
- Animal processing and testing.
- Assist with animal husbandry and medications.
- Assisting in surgery.
- Responsible for cleaning and maintaining inventory in dog clinic, cat clinic, laboratory, and euthanasia room.
- Responsible for isolation ward and isolation animals.
- Provides animal care and grooming.
- Responsible for cleaning and feeding animals in all areas
- Assist with laundry
- Hold and provide comfort to animals when being euthanized.
- Prior experience working with animals.
- Compassion and understanding of animals.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to complete paperwork and computer data entry with each animal
- Ability to clean continuously.
- Physical requirements include but not limited to, walking, standing and moving of animals and equipment (ability to lift 50 pounds).
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Only the most qualified applicants will be selected for interviews and responses to resumes may take up two weeks. Virtual or phone interviews will be required before in-person interviews are granted.
Send resume to:
Human Resource Specialist