PET SAFE – PET TRUST PROGRAM
Ensuring the Care of Your Pets After You’re Gone
If you have pets, you want the comfort of knowing they will be cared for and loved if anything should happen to you. We strongly recommend that you remember your pets when crafting your estate plan. Find someone you can trust to leave them to, and talk to this person so they know your plans. If, however, you do not have anyone to leave your pets to, Charleston Animal Society now offers a program called Pet Safe to ensure your pet is taken care of, in their new home with a loving family, when you are gone or are disabled.
Charleston Animal Society is a local, non-profit corporation, funded through the support of community members like you.
(If your will or trust document does not specify who will transport the pets to our agency in South Carolina, we can work with your personal representative, trustee, or other responsible party to have your pet safely transported to our shelter facilities. The cost of transport outside of the boundaries of South Carolina is the responsibility of the pet owner or his/her estate.)
We suggest a minimum planned gift of $5,000 bequeathed to Charleston Animal Society, Federal Identification Number 57-6021863, to support your pets’ enrollment.
A planned gift may be:
- A bequest in your will or trust;
- Naming Charleston Animal Society as beneficiary of your life insurance or qualified retirement plan;
- Naming Charleston Animal Society as the beneficiary of a “transfer on death” bank or stock account;
- A charitable gift annuity or a charitable remainder trust.
Required next steps for enrolling a dog or cat in Pet Safe:
- Complete one Pet Safe Enrollment Agreement for each of your pets;
- Complete one Pet Safe Pet Profile for each of your pets;
- Make out a check payable to Charleston Animal Society in an amount of $250 for each pet as a nonrefundable Reservation Fee.
- Mail completed documents and check to: Pet Safe – Pet Trusts, Charleston Animal Society, 2455 Remount Road, North Charleston, SC 29406.