How to Handle a Lost Pet

If you have lost your pet, you will need to fill out our Lost Animal Report form. Please email us a photo of your lost pet immediately and be sure to come visit the shelter in-person to see if you can identify your pet.

We care for thousands of lost and stray animals each year, and many animals look alike, so it’s very important that you come to Charleston Animal Society to look for your pet. Our staff will walk you through our stray animal areas to see if you can identify your pet. Most strays end up at Charleston Animal Society without collars and tags, so don’t count on our staff identifying your pet by its collar or tag.

Stray animals are held at Charleston Animal Society for five days, so we recommend you look for your pet every three to four days. Filling out a Lost Animal Report does not mean you should stop coming to the shelter to look for your pet. You are responsible for finding your pet.

Fill out Lost Pet report at the bottom of this page.
Lost & Found Hotline: 843-329-1562

Lost Cats

Lost Pet Tips

Check with other local animal shelters to see if they have your pet:
Dorchester County shelter 843-871-3820; Berkeley County shelter 843-761-0683; and Pet Helpers 843-795-1110;

Post your pet for FREE on FindingRover.com at findingrover.com/lost

Call local vets and emergency clinics in your area:
Mt. Pleasant Emergency Vet & Summerville Emergency Vet: (843) 216-7554, Charleston Veterinary Referral Center: (843) 614-8387, Charleston Veterinary Referral Center: (843) 614-8387

Talk to neighbors – neighborhood kids and trash collectors cover lots of territory in your neighborhood;

Check at school playgrounds, parks, churches and restaurants – places where people gather and where there are food sources;

Make flyers and post them in the neighborhood, grocery and retail stores and vet offices. Be sure to include a photo and your phone number;

Social Media is Your Friend!Post pictures of your lost pet on facebook, instagram and other social media sites as soon as possible. If you don’t have a social media account, ask a friend to post it for you. It works!

Run an ad in the newspaper (Post & Courier phone number 843-722-6500). Be sure to check the found ads daily.

If your pet is microchipped, call the microchip company to be sure your phone number is correct.

Post a lost pet ad at PetfinderFidofinder or LostPetUSA.com.

Fill Out this Lost Pet Report