10 Things to Know to Keep Your Pet Safe this 4th of July!
Charleston Animal Society is teaming up with Petco Love Lost to find missing pets.
The 4th of July Holiday is a celebration, but it can be dangerous for pets who are spooked by fireworks. “By far, we see more pets turn up missing right after the 4th of July than any other time of year,” said Charleston Animal Society CEO Joe Elmore. “We urge people to keep your pets inside and always have them on leashes because of fireworks that will be going off around the holiday.”
Because one out of three pets will go missing at some point in their lifetime, Charleston Animal Society is teaming up with Petco Love Lost to keep animal safe. Petco Love is offering a facial recognition website for lost pets – all you have to do is upload your pet’s picture for free at PetcoLoveLost.org.
10 WAYS TO KEEP YOUR PET SAFE
|Before the Holiday
||If Your Pet Goes Missing
|1. Be Alert: Fireworks start days before the 4th.
2. Keep Pets Secure: Your best bet is to keep your pets on leashes or indoors.
3. Check Your Yard: Inspect your fence and make sure it is escape-proof.
4. Update ID Tags/Microchips: It’s easy and so important to keep information current.
5. Register Pet at PetcoLoveLost.org: Just go to the website and upload your pet’s picture for free!
|1. Upload a photo to PetcoLoveLost.org
2. Notify your area shelter, animal control, friends and neighbors that your pet is missing.
3. Conduct a physical search of your home, yard and neighborhood.
4. Check that your pet’s microchip is up to date. You can do this online or through a phone call.
5. Print and post flyers that you can find at PetcoLoveLost.org.
FOR THIS REASON, CHARLESTON ANIMAL SOCIETY IS OFFERING “PET AMNESTY” JULY 5TH – 8TH. ANY LOST ANIMAL THAT TURNS UP AT CHARLESTON ANIMAL SOCIETY CAN BE CLAIMED WITH NO FEES DURING THIS PERIOD. (Mandatory spay/neuter fees still apply for intact animals, per Charleston County and local municipal ordinances).
INTERVIEWS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST