TEEN CLUB PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Learn and Volunteer In-Person
Ages 15 to 17
The Charleston Animal Society generally requires all volunteers to be 18 years or older. However, we are excited to be able to extend an opportunity to teenagers, aged 15 to 17, interested in volunteering! We have created a program to educate highly motivated and mature students on all the ins and outs of volunteering at the shelter. After completing this program successfully, students can take on the important responsibility of working with shelter animals unaccompanied by a parent or guardian.
- This program is offered from November through March.
- Classes meet twice a month from 3-5 pm on Sunday afternoons unless otherwise stated in the schedule.
- To achieve volunteer status, attendance at each mandatory animal handling meeting is required, and no more than two total absences are allowed.
- The program fee is $300 per participant. Refunds will not be available to participants unable to complete the program. Program fees help offset the cost associated with staffing, materials, and shirt provided.
- Scholarships are available. For more details, contact Heather Grogan at [email protected]
- 5-8 minute oral presentation
- Adherence to the attendance policy
- Passing of written tests & hands-on demonstration of safe animal handling
Note: Attendance alone does not guarantee volunteer status. All requirements above must be met to become a volunteer. After graduation, students must regularly volunteer to maintain the privilege of volunteering.
PROGRAM DATES 2023-2024:
- Sunday, November 5th Orientation (Parents must attend first 15 mins)
- OPTIONAL Tuesday, November 7th *Surgery Day 10am-12pm
- Sunday, November 19th
- Sunday, December 3rd *Mandatory Session
- Sunday, December 10th *Mandatory Session
- Sunday, January 7th
- Sunday, January 21st
- Sunday, February 11th
- Sunday, February 25th *Extended hours
- OPTIONAL Sunday, March 3rd *Extended hours
- Sunday, March 24th Presentations/Graduation
*Dates with extended hours are designed for intensive one-on-one animal handling sessions. These sessions will be one hour in length and will require teens to sign up for a time slot between 1 pm and 5 pm.